VET provides students both in VCE and VCAL the opportunity to participate in a Nationally Recognised certificate while still at school. VET courses are usually complete over two years part time, starting in Year 10 or 11. VET provides opportunities for students to jump start their career, while developing practical skills in their chosen industry.
Benefits of VET certificates:
- An extra qualification
- Technical skills
- Industry experience, when completed in conjunction with Structured Workplace Learning
- Possible credit to higher level courses
- Competency based assessment
- Practical and often hands on
How does VET contribute to VCAL and VCE?
- Units of credit: most VET courses contribute credits at Units 1,2 3 and 4 to VCE, as well as Industry specific credits towards VCAL
- Some VET courses offer scored programs, where you receive units of credits, as well as a score for your ATAR
- When a course does not offer a scored assessment, student can still receive a boost to their ATAR if they complete a VCE VET course.
Thomas Carr College is part of the Wyndham Cluster (WYNBAY LLEN) of over 12 schools providing more than 25 courses to students within the region. Most Cluster courses take place on a Wednesday afternoon, with a VET bus available to take students to the various locations.
Thomas Carr also works with other providers such as The Gordon TAFE (Geelong and Werribee), William Angliss (CBD), Victoria University, Box Hill TAFE (City Campus) and Kangan TAFE to provide Year 11 and 12 students additional external VET opportunities, to support our students on their chosen pathways.
Wyndham Cluster VET Courses Available:
- Trades: Automotive, Electro, Plumbing, Carpentry, Furnishing (scored), Engineering (scored), Bricklaying
- Community services (scored)
- Allied Health (scored)
- Information Digital Media and Technology (scored)
- Applied Fashion
- Sport and Recreation (scored)
- Business (scored)
- Beauty and Make Up
- Hospitality (Scored)
- Laboratory Skills
- Animal Studies
- Sport and Recreation
- Dance (Scored)
- Early Childhood Education and Care
- Music Industry (Performance and Sound Production)- Scored
- Creative Media- scored