Structured Workplace Learning

Structured Workplace Learning is available to students who are completing the following options at Thomas Carr College: Industry and Enterprise, VET courses and VCAL. SWL is an extension of Work Experience where students can integrate industry specific experience into their secondary education. These workplaces are usually specific to their Industry of interests.

It provides students with:

  • Enhanced skill development
  • Practical application of industry knowledge
  • Assessment of units of competency
  • Achievement of some learning outcomes for VCE or VCAL units
  • Enhanced employment opportunities
  • Students can also receive additional VCAL and VCE credits at a Unit 1 & 2 Level. This credit comes from completing Structured Workplace Learning Recognition Assessment

Some students enrolled in particular VET courses have mandated SWL hours. Courses like Cert III Allied Health and Cert III Early Childhood Education and Care, require students to complete SWL hours in order to pass units of competency. VCAL students who are in Year 12 or Year 11 3 Day VCAL must participate in SWL for a minimum of 20 days per year. Students undertaking 4 Day VCAL must complete 2 block placements at the end of each semester.

In order to be eligible to complete SWL, students must complete all required paperwork, as well as course requirements. In VCAL, students need to complete Work Related Skills Unit One, as well as their safe@work assessments. For some VET Certificates, students must complete all OH&S units before going on placement.

Students undertaking SWL as part of a VET or VCAL course can also access the SWL Portal to find placement opportunities around the local area, as well as further afield.

Additional Information:

Industry and Enterprise SWL and Work Experience Contact: Ms Anna Laba – Careers Coordinator
SWL for VET and VM contact: Ms Daniela Bombardieri-Szabo – VM VET Coordinator

School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships

School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships or SBATs, allow students to begin an apprenticeship or traineeship while still at school. Students will undertake nationally recognised qualifications at a Certificate II or III level, as well as take part in paid employment. In order to be recognised as a SBAT, students will need miss at least one full day of school per week (with a minimum of 13 hours a week), in training and employment. Students who undertake training wholly outside of school hours, will not be eligible for a SBAT. As SBATs attract government funding, all new organisations are vetted to ensure the Training Plan is valid.

Benefits of undertaking an SBAT:

  • Students will be paid as first-year trainees or apprentices per hour
  • Gain 3 to 12 months of credit towards their apprenticeship
  • Work towards completing a Nationally recognised certificate. Some students complete these certificates by the end of their time at Thomas Carr
  • Receive credit towards the student’s senior secondary qualification

Recommended for VM students due to the demands on the student’s timetable.
For all SBAT enquiries contact: Mr Casey Backhouse – VM VET Coordinator

Part Time Traineeships

Part Time Traineeships are available to students who are employed in certain organisations and take place solely outside of school hours. Students undertake a nationally recognised Certificate II or III in various industries such as food services and retail.

Benefits of a Part-Time Traineeship:

  • Completed outside of school time
  • Gives Units of credit towards VCAL and VCE
  • Valuable work experience
  • Paid employment

Organisations such as McDonalds and KFC are our most common providers of these opportunities. In order to take part in these opportunities, you should speak to your Manager.

If you successfully complete a Certificate outside of school, please ensure copies of your certificate and Statement of Attainment is pass onto the Head of Learning and Teaching – Senior School Alice Power or VCAL VET Coordinator Mr Casey Backhouse, in order to receive credit towards your VCE or VCAL program.