It has been almost three weeks since we returned from the school holidays, and I would like to thank all staff and students for the positive start to the Pentecost Term.
Staffing (Term Two)
At the start of this term a letter was sent to families informing you of the work that has been done to review and update our staffing across all year levels and subject areas. This extends to employing new teaching staff and we would like to welcome the following new staff members to Thomas Carr College:
- Mr Paul Abdallah (House Leader / Religious Education Teacher)
- Mr Jake Azzopardi (Health & Physical Education)
- Ms Giorgia Corradin (Italian Language Assistant)
- Mr James Mallia (Health & Physical Education / Religious Education)
- Ms Michelle McCarthy (Careers Practitioner)
- Mr Harry McKenzie (Humanities / Religious Education Teacher)
- Ms Nicole Ross (English / Learning Support Teacher)
- Mr Matthew Stepic (Humanities).
Ms Mary Drandi (Visual Arts) will also be replacing Ms Megan Bonnici who is currently on leave until the end of term.
In addition to the above listed staff, we also welcome back Ms Lata Nundlall (Mathematics) who has returned from long-service leave.
Director of Students
To further support the wellbeing needs of our students, we would also like to announce the following appointments and changes to the College Wellbeing Team.
- Director of Students – Middle School: Ms Jennifer Trodden
- Director of Students – Senior School: Mr Tony Muller.
Mr Paul Abdallah has been appointed as the new House Leader for Moylough.
We wish all new staff to the College the very best and every success as they join our dynamic learning community, and congratulate Ms Trodden and Mr Muller on their appointment to these new roles.
Semester One Examinations
Semester examinations will be held later this term for Year 7, 8, 10 and 11 students. These examinations are designed to provide students the opportunity to demonstrate their level of progress and achievement based on the key content covered throughout this semester.
Please note the below arrangements for Semester One examinations:
Year 11 Examinations: Examination dates are Thursday 8 June to Friday 16 June.
Year 10 Examinations: Examination dates are Thursday 8 June to Friday 16 June.
Year 10 examinations for all subjects including electives except for Religious Education, Health & Physical Education, and Industry & Enterprise.
Note: All Year 10 students enrolled in a VCE Unit 1 subject will complete an examination for that subject.
Year 9 Examinations: No semester examinations (end of year examinations for English, Maths, Science).
Year 7 and 8 Examinations: Examination dates are Wednesday 14 June to Friday 16 June.
Year 7 and 8 examinations for selected core subjects only (English, Mathematics, Science and Humanities).
Other key information:
- There are no semester examinations for Year 12 students. All VCE examinations are held at the end of the year.
- All Year 12 students will complete the General Achievement Test (GAT) on Thursday 15 June. Year 11 students who are undertaking a VCE Unit 3/4 subject will also complete the GAT on this date.
- The final day of Semester One (Term Two) classes is Thursday 22 June.
- Parent-Teacher-Student Conferences for VCE Unit 3/4 students will be held on Thursday 22 June (4pm to 8pm).
- Semester One Reports will be available to parents via PAM as of Thursday 22 June.
Further details outlining the above examination arrangements for each year level including a copy of the Semester One Examination timetable will be made available via Operoo. These details will also be posted on the Daily Messages section on SIMON for all students to access.
In the meantime, please contact your child’s subject teacher with any questions related to their overall progress and learning. If you have any questions about the upcoming semester examinations for Years 10 or 11 students, please contact Mrs Daniela Bombardieri-Szabo (Head of Learning and Teaching – Senior School).
Any questions related to the semester examinations for Years 7 and 8 students can be directed to Mr Stephen Manitta (Head of Learning and Teaching – Middle School).
Tutor Learning Program
Throughout last term, we provided students and families with information outlining the College’s Tutor Learning Program. It has been pleasing to see the number of students who have taken up this opportunity and worked with our tutors to extend their learning.
In Term Two, our tutors will continue to offer targeted literacy and numeracy support to students across all year levels. This extends to students having access to this support in the library during lunchtimes and after-school until 4pm.
Our tutors are also available to provide support to students after-school on a Monday and Wednesday until 5.00pm.
If you have any questions about this program or wish to express interest in your son or daughter being involved in this program, please contact your child’s English or Mathematics teacher.
You may also contact either Mr Stephen Manitta (Head of Learning and Teaching – Middle School) or Mrs Daniela Bombardieri-Szabo (Head of Learning and Teaching – Senior School).
Mr. Andrew Bryson
Deputy Principal – Staff and Learning Operations